Places with a warmer climate like Texas require specific roofing materials to maintain a cool and comfortable indoor temperature. Choosing a roofing material that’s suitable for your geographic location can also provide savings on energy costs.
Here are some of the best roofing materials for warmer climates.
1. Slate Tile – This roofing material became popular in America in the early seventeenth century. It’s appealing, durable, low maintenance and long-lasting. Light-colored and earth-toned slate have natural reflective properties that reduce heat absorption.
2. Clay and Terracotta – Traditional clay roofing is light-colored and doesn’t absorb as much heat as dark-colored roofs. Modern clay tiles are painted to give them the elegant look of slate and to improve their weatherproofing and reflective properties.
3. Concrete Tile – Cool-colored concrete withstands warm weather better than many other materials and increases your home’s energy efficiency by reflecting sunlight. It’s a heavy material so it takes longer to heat. Aside from that, concrete is fireproof. Kirtley & Sons Roofing offers tile roofing that’s protected with workmanship and manufacturer warranties. With our team’s extensive knowledge of residential roof installation, you can be assured that you will have the best roofing system for your home.
4. EPDM Rubber – EPDM is commonly used in commercial buildings. It’s a single-ply, white membrane that looks like rubber. This material is made of durable, weather-resistant thermoplastic. They come in rolls or sheets that can easily cover large roof areas.
5. White Barrel ‘S’ Tile – S-shaped concrete tiles effectively reflect the sun’s heat from homes. Their raised arch structure allows for better air circulation. The white-colored tiles can reflect around 40% more solar rays compared to traditional terra cotta.
6. White Metal – A white metal roof can reflect up to 66% of the sun’s energy from your home. It cools faster at night and retains less heat. Metal roofs are energy-efficient, low maintenance, sustainable and cost-efficient.
After the installation of your roof, it’s important to have it regularly maintained. Only trust a reputable contractor for your roofing needs. Kirtley & Sons Roofing is your leading provider of residential roof repair and maintenance. Call us at (281) 371-6776, or fill out our online form for a free estimate. We work with clients in Tomball, TX.